1st Missionary Nuns
1st Missionary Nuns

19th of October 1962

The Holy Family sisters arrived in Sri Lanka

The Holy Family sisters arrived in Sri Lanka for the 1st time. They were the 1st missionary nuns

1903 to 1908

Moved the school premises several times

The Holy Family sisters were forced to move the school premises several times. From Laurie’s rd. they shifted to a house on Galle road then to Clifford road & Melbourne Avenue.

Prior to 1903

Establish a Roman Catholic school

The parishioners of Bambalapitiya appealed to Rev.Fr. Euze the parish priest of St. Mary’s church Bambalapitiya, to establish a Roman Catholic school in their parish. He spoke to his grace archbishop Andrew Melizan on their behalf.

February 3rd 1903

HFC Bambalapitiya opened its doors to new students for the 1st time

HFC Bambalapitiya opened its doors to new students for the 1st time, with mother celeste Marchal at its head. There were only 28 students, both girls and boys on roll. The original building was a house- the clock house rented on Laurie’s rd., with one single classroom.

Rev Mother Mary of Jesus - The principal
Rev Mother Mary of Jesus - The principal

February of 1908

HFC gradually expanded with Rev Mother Mary of Jesus as the principal

The Holy Family sisters purchased a property on retreat rd., and along with another property on the same road bequeathed to them, HFC gradually expanded with Rev Mother Mary of Jesus as the principal.

1910 - 1922

The school development continued rapidly with many more buildings

The school development continued rapidly with many more buildings such as boarding school, the kindergarten section, & a science lab being constructed. More students joined the school to increase the number of around 350.

1910

The school held its 1st prize giving.

1st prize giving.
1st prize giving.

1924 - December

The 1st school magazine “Refreshing Breezes”

The magazine was published for the 1st time with Ms. Concy Weerasooriya as its editor

1926

The word “Familian” was officially coined for the 1st time

1928

HFC celebrated its silver jubilee & The school uniform was introduced

Loading

Late 1930's

The school song was composed by Ms. Wendy Whatmore

Loading
Loading

September 14th 1930

The house system was inaugurated

The houses were named after three superiors and two Rev. Mothers

August 29th 1933

Construction of the school chapel

The construction of the school chapel comes to an end, providing the school with a much needed place of worship of its own.

March 17th 1934

The PPA was inaugurated by Rev.Mother Gonzaga.

Loading

1940

The green hall, art room and the library were opened. The house system was introduced to the primary school.

27th of September 1941

The grotto is unveiled and blessed by Rev.Fr. Le Goc the rector of St. Joseph’s college.

Loading

1942 – 1947

Location was shifted

The location was once again shifted to a house in order to make room for a British military hospital.

Loading

1950

Facilities, sports, teaching & education were set up well

The system of having streams (English, Sinhala and Tamil) in education was set up. Chemistry, Physics & Biology labs, library, assembly hall, radio extensions, sport facilities were set up. Practical courses such as home science, cookery, dressmaking and arts and crafts were taught to those who did not intend to proceed to university.

Loading

1953

Celebrated its golden jubilee amidst pomp and pageantry

The school celebrated its golden jubilee amidst pomp and pageantry. A funfair titled “GOLDEN NIGHTS” was held as a fund raiser.

1960

The school became a non-fee levying private school

18th of November 1960

The welfare society was formed and had its inaugural meeting

1963

The diamond jubilee of the school was celebrated

Loading

1968

Rev.Sr. Helene marguerite, the 1st Sri Lankan principal was appointed

Loading
Loading

Mid 1970

The O/L exam was replaced by the NGCE. Morning prayers were conducted over the public address system for the 1st time.

1971

1st Sri Lankan superior Rev. Sr. Benigna was appointed

Loading

1972

The PTA was formed

Loading
Loading

October 27, 1973

Founder of the Holy Family

Rev. fr. Pierre Bienvenu Noailles the founder of the Holy Family Congregation was born in Bordeaux, France.

3rd of February 1978

The 75th jubilee year was celebrated

Loading

1978

The No. of students on roll exceeded 2000

Loading

1980

The GCE O/L examination was re-introduced

1985

Computer science courses for A/L students were introduced

Loading

1990

Many clubs and associations were formed and flourished.

The “LIFE EDUCATION” program for post O/L students was begun. The construction of the auditorium was completed

Loading

2003

The Philatelic club, interact club, familian theatre circle & familian IT club was formed

The teen art club organized an art exhibition for the 1st time in which the primary school too joined. It was held at the national art gallery.

Loading

2003

Celebrated 100th jubilee year

The senior choir of the school was placed 2nd in the youth choir category at the Llngotten risredfod music festival held in wales

Loading

2004

The nature club joined hands with the nature club of St. Peter’s College and organized an ecofriendly fashion show. The senior choir of the school was placed 2nd in the youth choir category at the Llngotten risredfod music festival held in wales The 5s project was launched

Loading

2005

The foundation stone was laid for the new administrative building, auditorium, medical centre and dancing hall. The teen art club organized an art exhibition for the 1st time in which the primary school too joined. It was held at the national art gallery.

2006

A well-equipped multimedia room/ library & transpotation

- The college library was refurbished and a well-equipped modern library was provided under the 4 year development plan.
- A well-equipped multimedia room too was refurbished.
- The welfare society was able to fulfill a long felt need for transport by purchasing a brand new Ashok Leyland 52 seater, air conditioned bus for the use of the school

Loading

2007

- Our school choir staged “WINDS OF CHANGE” a choral concert joining hands with Jayawardena Maha Vidyalaya, Dangedara in Galle.
- The majority of these students were tsunami victims and were from less privileged families. HFC was selected as a pioneer school by the India-Sri Lanka foundation
- School auditorium was completely refurbished with air conditioning, sound proofing, new seating and modern sound and light system.

2008

- 13 teachers with over 25 years of service to the school were felicitated.
- Five old science labs were refurbished and brought up to modern standards to meet the needs of 21st century science education. The primary library was also refurbished.
- Ronali Perera was placed 1st in the CIMA Spell master competition

Loading

2009

- “IMPRESSIONS 2009” an art exhibition showcasing the talents of our young familians was organized by the Teen Art Club
- The British high commissioner Dr. Peter Hayes and his wife Mrs. Kristy Hayes were the chief guests.
- A well designed and planned school Archive was inaugurated
- Study camp for IDPS
- A visit by the students of Jaffna
- The green hall was refurbished and extended to accommodate 550 students

Loading

2010

- The college computer lab was refurbished. 40 new computers with LCD monitors were installed. And also additional classroom space for 24 lecture chairs. A new multimedia projector and screen were also provided
- Security cameras were installed which enables the principal to monitor the approaches to the school as well as key points within the school
- A name board was donated for the school the school by the prefect’s batch of 2009 on their last day of school, 19th of July 2010

2011

- Eucharistic day was celebrated on the 3rd of February 2011
- UNESCO world book day was celebrated
- “FACT OF THE MATTER” the inter house English drama completion was held.
- Renovation of the basketball court
- Inter school Shakespeare drama competition
- Chapel was refurbished
- School website was redesigned

Loading

2012

150th Anniversary of Holy Family sisters

Girl Guide’s avurudu festival was held
REUNITE was organized by the prefects’ guild of 2012
Holy Family sisters celebrated their 150th anniversary.

Loading

2013

110th anniversary of HFC

- Holy Family Convent celebrated their 110th anniversary and the holy mass was conducted by His Eminence Malcom Cardinal Ranjith.
- Inauguration of the design club
- “IMPRESSIONS 2013” was organized by the teen art club
- Grades 6, 7, 8 and 9 classes were renovated
- Oriental music room, Primary Computer lab washrooms were also refurbished

Loading

2015

- The familian choir took part in “LACRIMOSA” and evening of ,.Latin classical sacred music, organized by St. Joseph’s college under the patronage of the Archbishop.
- “RAVANA HATANA” public show was held.
- Six students attended IYCCE conference, Lucknow, India

Loading

2016

- Holy Family Convent started their school year with a new Principal
- “ARJUNA” public show was held
- Walk was organized by the PPA. And the theme was “Let’s change for Climate change”
- An Open day was held to introduce new clubs and unions

 
Establish a Roman Catholic school
Prior to 1903
 
The Holy Family sisters arrived in Sri Lanka
19th of October 1962

The Holy Family sisters arrived in Sri Lanka

Moved the school premises several times

Establish a Roman Catholic school

HFC Bambalapitiya opened its doors to new students for the 1st time

HFC gradually expanded with Rev Mother Mary of Jesus as the principal

The school development continued rapidly with many more buildings

The school held its 1st prize giving.

The 1st school magazine “Refreshing Breezes”

The word “Familian” was officially coined for the 1st time

HFC celebrated its silver jubilee & The school uniform was introduced

The school song was composed by Ms. Wendy Whatmore

The house system was inaugurated

Construction of the school chapel

The PPA was inaugurated by Rev.Mother Gonzaga.

The green hall, art room and the library were opened. The house system was introduced to the primary school.

The grotto is unveiled and blessed by Rev.Fr. Le Goc the rector of St. Joseph’s college.

Location was shifted

Facilities, sports, teaching & education were set up well

Celebrated its golden jubilee amidst pomp and pageantry

The school became a non-fee levying private school

The welfare society was formed and had its inaugural meeting

The diamond jubilee of the school was celebrated

Rev.Sr. Helene marguerite, the 1st Sri Lankan principal was appointed

The O/L exam was replaced by the NGCE. Morning prayers were conducted over the public address system for the 1st time.

1st Sri Lankan superior Rev. Sr. Benigna was appointed

The PTA was formed

Founder of the Holy Family

The 75th jubilee year was celebrated

The No. of students on roll exceeded 2000

The GCE O/L examination was re-introduced

Computer science courses for A/L students were introduced

Many clubs and associations were formed and flourished.

The Philatelic club, interact club, familian theatre circle & familian IT club was formed

Celebrated 100th jubilee year

The nature club joined hands with the nature club of St. Peter’s College and organized an ecofriendly fashion show. The senior choir of the school was placed 2nd in the youth choir category at the Llngotten risredfod music festival held in wales The 5s project was launched

The foundation stone was laid for the new administrative building, auditorium, medical centre and dancing hall. The teen art club organized an art exhibition for the 1st time in which the primary school too joined. It was held at the national art gallery.

A well-equipped multimedia room/ library & transpotation

- Our school choir staged “WINDS OF CHANGE” a choral concert joining hands with Jayawardena Maha Vidyalaya, Dangedara in Galle.
- The majority of these students were tsunami victims and were from less privileged families. HFC was selected as a pioneer school by the India-Sri Lanka foundation
- School auditorium was completely refurbished with air conditioning, sound proofing, new seating and modern sound and light system.

- 13 teachers with over 25 years of service to the school were felicitated.
- Five old science labs were refurbished and brought up to modern standards to meet the needs of 21st century science education. The primary library was also refurbished.
- Ronali Perera was placed 1st in the CIMA Spell master competition

- “IMPRESSIONS 2009” an art exhibition showcasing the talents of our young familians was organized by the Teen Art Club
- The British high commissioner Dr. Peter Hayes and his wife Mrs. Kristy Hayes were the chief guests.
- A well designed and planned school Archive was inaugurated
- Study camp for IDPS
- A visit by the students of Jaffna
- The green hall was refurbished and extended to accommodate 550 students

- The college computer lab was refurbished. 40 new computers with LCD monitors were installed. And also additional classroom space for 24 lecture chairs. A new multimedia projector and screen were also provided
- Security cameras were installed which enables the principal to monitor the approaches to the school as well as key points within the school
- A name board was donated for the school the school by the prefect’s batch of 2009 on their last day of school, 19th of July 2010

- Eucharistic day was celebrated on the 3rd of February 2011
- UNESCO world book day was celebrated
- “FACT OF THE MATTER” the inter house English drama completion was held.
- Renovation of the basketball court
- Inter school Shakespeare drama competition
- Chapel was refurbished
- School website was redesigned

150th Anniversary of Holy Family sisters

110th anniversary of HFC

- The familian choir took part in “LACRIMOSA” and evening of ,.Latin classical sacred music, organized by St. Joseph’s college under the patronage of the Archbishop.
- “RAVANA HATANA” public show was held.
- Six students attended IYCCE conference, Lucknow, India

- Holy Family Convent started their school year with a new Principal
- “ARJUNA” public show was held
- Walk was organized by the PPA. And the theme was “Let’s change for Climate change”
- An Open day was held to introduce new clubs and unions

1470
1480
1490
1500
1510
1520
1530
1540
1550
1560
1570
1580
1590
1600
1610
1620
1630
1640
1650
1660
1670
1680
1690
1700
1710
1720
1730
1740
1750
1760
1770
1780
1790
1800
1810
1820
1830
1840
1850
1860
1870
1880
1890
1900
1910
1920
1930
1940
1950
1960
1970
1980
1990
2000
2010
2020
2030
2040
2050
2060
2070
2080
2090
2100
2110
2120
2130
2140
2150
2160
2170
2180
2190
2200
2210
2220
2230
2240
2250
2260
2270
2280
2290
2300
2310
2320
2330
2340
2350
2360
2370
2380
1824
1825
1826
1827
1828
1829
1831
1832
1833
1834
1835
1836
1837
1838
1839
1841
1842
1843
1844
1845
1846
1847
1848
1849
1851
1852
1853
1854
1855
1856
1857
1858
1859
1861
1862
1863
1864
1865
1866
1867
1868
1869
1871
1872
1873
1874
1875
1876
1877
1878
1879
1881
1882
1883
1884
1885
1886
1887
1888
1889
1891
1892
1893
1894
1895
1896
1897
1898
1899
1901
1902
1903
1904
1905
1906
1907
1908
1909
1911
1912
1913
1914
1915
1916
1917
1918
1919
1921
1922
1923
1924
1925
1926
1927
1928
1929
1931
1932
1933
1934
1935
1936
1937
1938
1939
1941
1942
1943
1944
1945
1946
1947
1948
1949
1951
1952
1953
1954
1955
1956
1957
1958
1959
1961
1962
1963
1964
1965
1966
1967
1968
1969
1971
1972
1973
1974
1975
1976
1977
1978
1979
1981
1982
1983
1984
1985
1986
1987
1988
1989
1991
1992
1993
1994
1995
1996
1997
1998
1999
2001
2002
2003
2004
2005
2006
2007
2008
2009
2011
2012
2013
2014
2015
2016
2017
2018
2019
2021
2022
2023
2024
2025
2026
2027
2028
2029
2031
2032
2033
2034
2035
2036
2037
2038
2039
2041
2042
2043
2044
2045
2046
2047
2048
2049
2051
2052
2053